Saturday, June 23, 2012

Paint and Insanity.

My husband is going to be gone this week at camp. He loves camp it makes him so happy and giddy and weird. Me? Um... Not as much as him... I don't mind it, but a week is a long time to be away from home (in the not bed & breakfast sort of way) or to be at home with out him. This year it's sort of split, the boys and I are going with him for two days and then coming home because we have Tennis (five year olds "playing" tennis is about as cute as it sounds) and you know it's home and stuff.

Any way, usually when Brian is gone I like to embark on some sort of home improvement project because I'm crazy. I mean it wasn't crazy before we had kids but some how the urge to paint stuff or tear stuff out when Brian is away remained even after we had kids and I am the only parent the can rely on for the week. Weird! It seems to work out all right though.

So Brian leaving for the week necessitates a trip to Lowe's to get supplies. This year I am painting my soon to be "da da da da" sewing room! (I literally hear that sound in my head every time I think "sewing room"). I love color, it fascinates me how many shades of every color there are. I love it so much! And you would think this would lead to a joyful picking-out-paint-experience but the opposite is true. How can I decide from so many options? What if I don't like it? I swear the color on the chip is not ever the color in the can (do I look at the paint chip wrong?)! It seems like such a comittment and so much work!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!! And I find the staff to be less then helpful. The lady was so "I work here so I know about paint you should prime first AND buy the expensive paint with primer..." I really didn't get a "let's build it together" feel from her.

It was so unnerving that when I came home I had a cup of coffee and TWO pieces of jell-o cake. (Oh, don't look at me like that they were small pieces!) Oh well. I did what I usually do and picked out a color that I think is what I'm looking for (a grey blue, sort of scandinavian) and then picked the one with the best name. This time it's "Adrift" from Valspar (because picking out paint makes me feel adrift). I also got the paint with primer in it because I do have a life you know, diapers to be changed and all that. So we'll see. I'll post pictures of it when it's done. My biggest fear is that it will be the same color as the basement (who needs two rooms with the same color), too dark, or the same color as my "new" sewing desk and it will blend into the wall and I won't be able to find it. Wish me luck!

I swear this is not what the little "dab" on
the can looks like. Maybe it's not
dry yet...

*As a side note I LOVE the color of my bedroom walls. I may never change them and the name of that color is "blue blood" Ooooo creepy! What are your favorite colors, or any horrifying home-imporvement stories you'd like to share?

No comments: